Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Help with finding my Niche

So as some of you may know, I've been interested in selling amigurumi for awhile now. I'm working on coming up with my own patterns, but in the meantime, I've found some excellent designers that don't mind you selling items made from their patterns.

I'm also looking into the best ways to market my business. This includes a good bit of social networking and creating a blog that your target audience would love to read.

This is where I could really use some input and advice from all of you lovely people :)

First, I need to find my niche. Find my target audience. What kind of people buy amigurumi (the finished toys, not the patterns)? What other things are those same people interested in that I could blog about?

I don’t really want to blog about crocheting technique or the process of making the toys because I don’t think too much of my targeted audience crochets (why would a crocheter buy a toy when they could make one themselves)?

I’d love to hear any ideas you may have or any resources you’d like to share.
Thanks for all your time and help!

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, I like the idea of being able to buy ready made amigurumi (I can't crochet!) - I think you're right that the techniques may not be of interest to the people buying them - perhaps a little story for each one (e.g. "this is Bert the bear, he likes racecars and bananas...) with pictures in cute locations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fantastic idea! I could give them names and a birthday and maybe a little personality (kindda like beanie babies) and attach a cute tag to them with all their info.

    Taking their pictures in cute locations is another really good idea. Just have different themes for each one depending on their personalities. And then on my new blog I can post up profiles for each one :)

    Thanks so much for responding!!

    I'm also thinking of making series. Like a dragon series for example. Each color or style of dragon will have a different name (So I'll make multipule red Bobs or yellow Susies). I could make a set of each dragon and number them for people who like to collect toys. If lets say Bob is really popular and people are requesting to buy more of him when I'm sold out of my original set, I could make second editions :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked the idea :)

    I like the idea of a series, especially dragons! And limited edition ones could be cool too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great ideas, I can't remember which site it is now but someone sells 'sockies' they have names and personalities, also customers have the chance to change names if they want to. I always like browsing this 'Sockie' shop when it has a lot of stock therefore more choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can find the link, I'd love to take a look at the sockie site! ;)

    ReplyDelete